Who to notify when someone dies – checklist

Besides the deceased person’s family, friends, colleagues and other acquaintances, there are several Government Departments that need to know about the death. This checklist is designed to help you keep a record of the organisations, Government departments, agencies, service providers etc. to notify when someone dies.

Who to notify when someone dies – checklist:

Personal connections

    • Family, friends
    • Employer
    • Education provider
    • General Practitioner (GP), dentist
    • Social services and carers

Money and finance

    • Banks, building societies
    • Insurance providers
    • Pension providers
    • Property and accommodation
    • Mortgage provider
      Landlord, housing association
    • Building insurance provider

Utility companies

    • TV providers
    • Internet provider
    • Telephone and mobile phone carrier
    • Gas and electricity company
    • Water company

Government Departments and Agencies

    • HM Revenue and Customs
    • Local Government
    • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
    • The Passport Agency


    • Clubs, groups and other membership organisations
    • Post redirection

Tell Us Once

The Tell Us Once service helps you to report the death to multiple Government Departments. The service is free to use and it’s offered by most local councils in England, Scotland and Wales.

The service is available face to face, online or over the phone. The Registrar will offer to make an appointment for you or give you a unique reference number which will allow you to use the service online or over the phone.

NHS Organ Donor Line

Contact them to check if the deceased person is a registered organ donor.
Tel: 0300 123 23 23

Can you think of anyone else who needs to be notified when someone dies?

Your next steps

Registering the death

Organising the funeral

Scroll to Top